Monday, November 14, 2011

The Circle of Derby Life, Part 2

NOTE: I strongly encourage everyone to further research all the topics I'm talking about in these Circle of Derby Life articles. I'm writing these because I know it's often easier for people to start off by clicking a link to a friend's blog than simply forging out unto the web to try to learn all this stuff. Also, being a PRG insider, I can speak to some of the specifics of the very training my readers will be facing. So I hope this is a good beginning to get you thinking, but I'm not an authority on nutrition and stuff.


2) NUTRITION & EATING HABITS


I was never athletic before I got into derby at 29 years old. So I'd never eaten in preparation for serious athletic exertion. Given that background, it was easy to think I was eating well as long as I was going for generally wholesome, nutritious food and avoiding junk and fast food. As I would soon learn, however, there are specific nutrients you MUST make sure you get in order for your body to actually make use of the wholesome energy you're feeding it.

Again, I'm not a nutritionist. But once I got the following things in order, I noticed an awesomely positive effect on my muscle fatigue and overall endurance.

Potassium - This is plentiful in bananas, as many people know. And bananas are a fantastically convenient type of fruit to eat on-the-go. Unfortunately, I think I'm mildly allergic to bananas, 'cause they always make my mouth and throat itch. The good news is a number of other foods are high in potassium. Just not foods I was in the habit of eating before I got into derby. Off the top of my head: yogurt, tomatoes and broccoli. I've always loved broccoli, but it doesn't tend to be something I eat early in the day, pre-practice. There are also plenty of cereals and energy/nutrition bars that are high in potassium. Check out the labels and find some you like to keep around.

B-Vitamins - I've been taking a B-complex supplement for years now, since before derby. So I can't really describe the effect it's had on my derby performance. But I can say it was a noticeable energy boost when I started taking them. B-vitamins aren't energy in and of themselves. They're another nutrient your body needs to make proper use of the energy you consume in other foods.

Protein - You can get protein in lots of places, as I'm sure you know. The point I want to make here is *when* you should be getting protein. Not only do you want to get some protein in your pre-practice diet, but you should have some protein ready to eat within a half-hour of finishing practice. A protein shake or bar, some milk, something. You create little microscopic tears in your muscles when you work out, and when they rebuild themselves they add mass and make themselves stronger to adapt to your activity. From everything I've read and heard, the 30 minutes following the end of your workout are the prime window for feeding your muscles the protein they need to rebuild. I always keep a Clif bar on hand for the car ride home. Other skaters bring their favorite protein bar, protein shake, or bottle of chocolate milk.

Complex Carbohydrates - Obviously, you need to provide the basic energy source for your body. Protein and carbs both provide energy, and you should be getting both in your pre-practice diet. Avoid sugary stuff that will leave you crashing later. You want complex carbs like pasta, rice, whole-grain bread and cereals. Find what you like and make a habit out of it. I used to do pasta or rice, but if I didn't have it already cooked beforehand I'd often leave myself short on time. So I took to faster, more convenient sources of complex carbs, like cereals, that also have other nutrients I need.

Vitamin D3 and Calcium - These guys are good for your bones, which are subject to possible breakage in any full-contact sport. I take a D3 supplement to make sure I get enough, and I tend to eat foods with plenty of calcium anyway. Drink your milks, kids. Or soy milk. Or whatever calcium source you like.

I'm SURE there are other important nutrients that I don't think about. And some of the things I listed seem like "duh" items, but it's pretty easy to overlook eating enough protein or carbs now and then, and it can really hurt when you get to practice and find yourself short on fuel. So the point here isn't necessarily telling you about the nutrients themselves, but reminding you to keep them in mind in your pre-practice diet.

Timing is also pretty important. Generally, I try to eat in the form of several small, light snacks throughout the day before practice, and it works well for me. Plus, I stop eating about 2 hours before practice and just continue drinking water. Having food sitting in your stomach while skating can drag you down, and even make you more prone to puking in certain circumstances (I'm looking at you, endurance assessments!).

So what do *I* eat on a practice day? Lately, I've been starting the day with a bowl of Special K Protein Plus cereal. Then at some point I'll have a bowl of yogurt. Then around 5pm I'll have a Clif bar and that's it until after practice. Now, I'll probably munch on other things too, but those 3 items are rich in the important nutrients I want to make sure I get. This is the pre-practice diet I've been happiest with so far, but I'm sure I'll get bored with it and change it up eventually. It's just an example to help you get thinking about what'll work for you.

What happens if you don't get the proper nutrients? More than just getting tired faster. You can end up nauseated, or dizzy and light-headed, even risking passing out on the track. Or you can find your legs shaking to the point where you can't accurately control them and balance yourself. I've been there, and it sucks. Prompted me pretty quickly to take a look at what was missing, with advice from some of the PRG vets.

2 comments:

  1. After writing this, I got feedback from some more knowledgable peeps about carbohydrates. In addition to complex carbs, you want some of the simpler carbs from fruits. Your body can utilize these sugars much more quickly, so they're excellent pre-practice fuel, and some skaters even keep some fruit handy to nibble on during practice. And these sugars apparently don't give you that rush/crash effect like you'd get from processed sugars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After writing this, I got feedback from some more knowledgable peeps about carbohydrates. In addition to complex carbs, you want some of the simpler carbs from fruits. Your body can utilize these sugars much more quickly, so they're excellent pre-practice fuel, and some skaters even keep some fruit handy to nibble on during practice. And these sugars apparently don't give you that rush/crash effect like you'd get from processed sugars.

    ReplyDelete